Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
No kidding. I wouldn't write this if this weren't TRUE!
Whether you're hunting for a couple of facts--on something on the obscure side--or an overview on something big, looking at dissertions can be both quick and highly reliable. Consider:
- Dissertations are nearly all full-text through PQDFT (Duke-only database)
- Dissertations are highly specific
- Dissertations are the academic "gold standard" of scholarship
- Bibliiographies are exhaustive on the topic
- Chapters are generically titled: YOU DON'T HAVE TO READ THE WHOLE DISS!
- The introduction usually scopes out the topic and presents ideas.
[ProQuest] Dissertations and Theses Full Text