Link Between School Lunches and Healthy Kids
The Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS) released a report on Wednesday, February 25, examining the potential for a National School Lunch Program to improve children’s health.
More information here and click the pdf to read the report:
- Durham County Library’s Digging Durham Seed Library provides a repository for seeds and training for its patrons. Opens for the spring season on March 4.
- Carolina Cooks, Carolina Eats
Website explores the history and politics of food in five regions of NC; themes include: southern history and culture, environmentalism and sustainability, public health and nutrition, plus more.
- Two interviews by economist Russ Roberts on his EconTalk podcast:
Welcome to the Duke University Libraries' research guide for the University course, Food Studies: Interdisciplinary Approaches to Why, What, and How We Eat!
This guide offers a selection of resources about the emerging world of food studies. This "Getting Started" page contains resources relevant to events and readings for this course.
Discipline-specific resources can be found via the tabs at the top of the page.
This guide is a work in progress; if you have any comments, suggestions, or requests about resources to add, please contact us!
Schedule of Speakers
Jan. 7: Overview of Course and Emerging Focus on Food Studies at Duke
- Jed Purdy, Robinson O. Everett Professor of Law, Duke Law School
- Charlotte Clark, Asst. Professor of the Practice, Nicholas School of the Environment; Duke Univ. Faculty Director of Sustainability
Jan. 12: Food Trade and International Food Policy
- Gary Gereffi, Professor of Sociology and Director of the Center on Globalization, Governance, & Competitiveness (CGGC) at Duke University
- Michaeline Crichlow, Asso. Professor of Sociology, Asso. Professor of African and African American Studies, Duke University
- Norman Wirzba, Professor of Theology and Ecology, Duke Divinity School
Jan. 26: Farm Bill. Domestic Food Policy
- Kevin Concannon, Under Secretary of USDA-Food & Nutrition Service (USDA-FNS)
- Dean Kelly Brownell, Sanford School of Public Policy
- Suggested Resource: Grassroots Guide to Federal Farm and Food Programs
Feb. 2: World Hunger and Global Food Distribution
- Shana Starobin, Sanford School of Public Policy
- Phyllis Pomerantz, Professor of the Practice of Public Policy, Center for International Development, Sanford School of Public Policy, Duke Univ.
Feb. 9: GMO Debate
- Hope Shand, ETC Group Senior Research Associate
- Mary Eubanks, Adjunct Professor, Biology, Duke Univ.
- Hope Hart, Syngenta
Feb. 16: Organics Big and Small; Pesticides
- David Schaad, Professor of the Practice of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Pratt School of Engineering, Duke Univ.
- Eric Ward, President of AgBiome
- Ken Dawson, Farmer, Orange County, NC
Feb. 23: Meat Production
- Michelle Nowlin, Senior Lecturing Fellow, Duke Law School; Supervising Attorney, Environmental Law and Policy Clinic
- Gabriel Rosenberg, Professor, Women’s Studies, Duke Univ.
- Eliza MacLean, Owner of Cane Creek Farm
March 2: Climate Change & Agriculture
- NC Climate Rep. (to be confirmed)
- Dan Vermeer, Exe. Director, Center for Energy, Development, and the Global Environment; Asso. Professor of the Practice, Fuqua School of Business, Duke
March 16:Food Access and Food Deserts
- Alice Ammerman, Dir., Center for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention; Professor, Department of Nutrition, Gillings School of Global Public Health, Univ. of North Carolina, Chapel Hill (UNC)
- Wanona Satcher, Neighborhood Development Specialist, City of Durham
- Kevin Hamak, Owner of Farmer K
March 23: Global Obesity
- Kelly Brownell, Dean, Sanford School of Public Policy at Duke; Founder of the Rudd Center for Food Policy and Obesity
- Sarah Armstrong, Asso. Professor of Pediatrics & Associate Professor, Dept. of Community and Family Medicine, Duke Medicine; Director, Duke Healthy Lifestyles Program
March 30: Food and Labor
- Sharon Holland, Asso. Chair and Professor, Dept. of American Studies, Univ. of North Carolina, Chapel Hill (UNC)
- Nadeen Bir Zaslow, Advocacy and Organizing Dir., Student Action for Farmworkers
April 6: Food Safety
- Anthony So, Professor of the Practice, Sanford School of Public Policy, Public Policy and Global Health Dir., Program in Global Health and Technology Access
- Franca Alphin, Dir., Nutrition Services, Student Health; Asso. Professor, Dept. of Community and Family Medicine; Adjunct Faculty, Dept. of Health, Physical Education and Recreation
- Roland McReynolds, Exe. Director, Carolina Farm Stewardship Association
April 13: Psychology of Food Choices
- Gavan Fitzsimons, R. David Thomas Professor of Marketing and Psychology, Fuqua School of Business, Duke Univ.
- Stacie McEntyre, Pres., Veritas Collaborative
April 20: Forging the Way Ahead: Choices/ Alternatives for Duke
- Saskia Cornes, Manager and Program Coordinator, Duke Campus Farm
- Larry Moneta, Vice President of Student Affairs, Duke Univ.
- Sandi Kronick, President/CEO, Eastern Carolina Organics
Julie Guthman (2004)
Animal, Vegetable, Miracle
Barbara Kingsolver (2007)
Diet for a Hot Planet
Anna Lappe (2010)
Diet for a Small Plant
Frances M. Lappe (1971)
Jonathan Safron Foer (2010)
James McWilliams (2009)
Deborah Barndt (2008)
The CAFO Reader
Dan Imhoff (2010)
Unsettling of America
Wendell Berry (1996)
Website for the work of Shiva Vandana, prominent environmental activist
Julie Guthman (2011)