Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Why You Are Using This Guide
This research guide is designed to assist art-museum studies, museology, curatorial vocational and exhibition studies research. Ancillary guides helpful in these areas are the general Art History guide, Art Markets guide and Provenance Research.
Beginnings - Reference Sources
see the general Art History research guide for comprehensive sources
Oxford Art Online
- Oxford's combined art databases, searchable uniformly or individually. Covers museum topics and history-of-collections topics. The first place to begin in any art or art-historical related research.
Pelican History of Art (series) Lilly Reference [various titles depending on period] Lilly N5300.P38
- the standard English-language history of art. Continuously updated. + extra images; good beginning bibliography
Specialized Museum Reference
American art directory [serial] . New York, Jaques Cattell Press. Lilly Library Reference N50 .A447
- indexes museums and art organizations with listings by personnel, location and specialty
International directory of arts [formerly, Internationales Kunst-Adressbuch]. Berlin: Kaupterverlag. Lilly Library N50 .I6
- Directory of museums, gallery professionals, restorers, libraries, private galleries and institutions, worldwide. Provides email addresses and faxes not commonly listed in websites.
The Official museum directory [serial]. Washington, D.C. : American Association of Museums. Lilly and Perkins Library Ready Reference AM10.A2 O4
- Directory of museums of all kinds in North America. Size, budget information, personnel, subject concentration, annual attendance and house publications.