Zotero is a free citation management tool that can store content in any format, including PDFs, images, audio and video files, and snapshots of web pages. It works the best when you download both Zotero 5.0 (a standalone application) and Zotero Connector (a browser plug-in). Both are adapted to multiple platforms and can be found and downloaded at zotero.org/download.
Adding from Browser Using Zotero Connector
Zotero Connector automatically detects the type of a source on the webpage and changes its icon accordingly. To save a source to Zotero, locate the Connector icon in the address bar and click it.
1. If a list of sources is available to save from a database (such as ProQuest), Zotero Connector will change to a folder icon.
2. Click the icon, and the item selector will pop up. Check the sources that you wish to add to Zotero.
Adding by Identifiers
If you already know the ISBN, DOI and/or PubMed ID of a source, you can click the magic wand icon and enter the identifier information.
If you have a PDF file in your computer, you can simply drag it into Zotero.
1. For files that are encrypted with metadata, Zotero can automatically export its citation information.
2. If Zotero does not retrieve the metadata automatically, right-click the PDF and select Retrieve Metadata for PDF.
For print sources and electronic files not encrypted with metadata, you need to add their citation information manually. To do so,
1. Click the plus sign icon and select the type of source you wish to add.
2. On the right hand side, click on each field to enter the corresponding citation information.
1. To create a new collection, click the folder icon in the top right corner.
2. To create a new subcollection, right-click an existing collection and select New Subcollection.
Tags are automatically detected when sources are imported in Zotero. They can be found in the bottom left corner of the Zotero application. You can sort your sources by clicking the tag.
You can also edit tags by yourself. To do so, select a source and click Tags on the right hand side
The Zotero Word plug-in is automatically added to Word when you download Zotero. It allows you to:
1. Click Add/Insert Citation.
2. Select the source you wish to cite, and add the page number. Check Suppress Author and add Prefix and/or Suffix if necessary.
Using Zotero Word Plug-in
Click Add/Edit Bibliography.
Note: you MUST add a citation first before inserting its corresponding bibliographic information.
Using Zotero 5.0
Go to the Zotero standalone application and select the source you wish to cite. If you wish to select multiple sources, hold control on your keyboard and select the sources. Right-click, select Create Bibliography from Items, and then choose a citation style and output method.
1. Click Document Preferences.
2. Select the citation style you wish to use.
1. Click the New Library icon and select New Group.
2. You will be re-directed to zotero.org and asked to log in using your Zotero account credentials.
3. Choose a group name, select a group type and click Create Group.