Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Trade Serials and Magazines
The following are selected titles relating to the business of outdoor advertising from the late 19th century to the present. There are many more titles available in the Rubenstein Library.
- The Bill Poster: Journal of the Associated Bill Posters' Association, 1896-1898
- Display Advertising: Merged with The Bill Poster to form Billposter-Display Advertising
- The Billposter-Display Advertising: the official journal of the Associated Bill Posters of the Unites States and Canada, 1898-1903
- The Billposter and Distributor: the official journal of the Associated Bill Posters of the United States and Canada, 1903-1908.
- The Poster: An illustrated monthly magazine dedicated to poster advertising and poster art. Official journal of the Poster Advertising Association (later Outdoor Advertising Association of America).
- Advertising Outdoors: Newsletter of the Outdoor Advertising Association of America
A chronological list of select titles offering guidance on the creation, construction, and installation of effective outdoor advertising in a number of different mediums. Additional topics include local, state, and federal ordinances, statutes and laws effecting the outdoor industry.
- Sign writing and glass embossing: a complete practical illustrated manual of the art. by James Callingham, 1871.
- A collation of cases relating to statutes and ordinances affecting advertising signs and fences used for advertising purposes, Associated Billposters and Distributors of the United States and Canada, 1901.
- Billposting up-to-date, Cyril Sheldon, 1910.
- Billposting: a practical handbook and work of reference for the use of advertisers, Cyril Sheldon, 1916.
- Suggested uniform ordinance for electrical advertising, commercial signs, outdoor advertising, National Electric Light Association, 1921.
- Manual of the Outdoor Advertising Association of America: containing useful information, rules and regulations, Constitution and Code of Ethics of the Association, OAAA, 1926.
- Public relations in outdoor advertising: a good will building service for the advertiser, OAAA, 1928.
- The truth about standardized outdoor advertising, Outdoor Advertising Incorporated, 1931
- Now! Increased outdoor advertising values on the Pacific coast, Traffic Audit Bureau, 1938.
- Poster design, Walter T. Warde, 1947.
- A guide for the preparation of copy and art for painted displays, National Outdoor Advertising Bureau, 1952
- How you can win more customers with outdoor advertising: report, Outdoor Advertising Incorporated, 1959-1961
- Compilation of state laws relating to outdoor advertising, OAAA, 1968.
- Planning for out-of-home media, Budd Buszek, 1977.
- A creative guide to outdoor advertising, Institute of Outdoor Advertising, 1982.