- Cesari, Jocelyne.
- Encyclopedia of Islam in the United States.
Westport, Conn.: Greenwood Press, 2007.
Divinity School Library Reference BP67.U6 E53 2007 v.1-2
Lilly Library Reference BP67.U6 E53 2007 v.1-2 Check availability @ Duke
- Ember, Melvin et al. (eds.)
- Encyclopedia of diasporas : immigrant and refugee cultures around the world.
New York: Springer, 2005.
Perkins/Bostock Library Reference JV6225 .E53 2004 v.1-2 Check availability @ Duke
- Gibney, Matthew J. and Randall Hansen (eds.)
- Immigration and asylum : from 1900 to the present.
Santa Barbara, Calif.: ABC-CLIO, 2005.
Lilly Library JV6012 .I56 2005 v.1-3 Check availability @ Duke
- Islamic Resource Institute.
- Directory of Masjids and Muslim organizations of North America, 1994/1415.
Fountain Valley, CA : Islamic Resource Institute, 1994.
Divinity School Library Reference Quarto BP67.A1 D57 1994 Check availability @ Duke
- Nimer, Mohamed.
- The North American Muslim resource guide : Muslim community life in the United States and Canada.
New York : Routledge, 2002.
Divinity School Library Reference BP67.A1 N57 2002
Perkins/Bostock Library Reference BP67.A1 N57 2002 Check availability @ Duke
- Ernst, Carl W. (ed.)
- Islamophobia in America: the anatomy of intolerance.
New York, NY : Palgrave Macmillan, 2013
Perkins/Bostock Library E184.M88 I65 2013
Check availability @ Duke
Table of Contents: Introduction : the problem of Islamophobia / Carl W. Ernst -- Common heritage, uncommon fear : Islamophobia in the United States and British India, 1687-1947 / Peter Gottschalk and Gabriel Greenberg -- Islamophobia and American history : religious stereotyping and out-grouping of Muslims in the United States / Kambiz GhaneaBassiri -- The Black Muslim scare of the twentieth century : the history of state Islamophobia and its post-9/11 variations / Edward E. Curtis -- Center stage : gendered Islamophobia and Muslim women / Juliane Hammer -- Attack of the Islamophobes : religious war (and peace) in Arab/Muslim Detroit / Andrew J. Shryock.
Quick Links: Books
The following list uses subject 'tags' in the bibliographic records of Duke's Online Catalog to pull up lists of books in our collections. Click on one of the subject headings to see a list of relevant titles:
> Arab Americans
> Arab-American Women
> Armenian Americans
> Iranian-American Women
> Islam -- United States
Select Bibliography: Islam in America
- Abu-Rabi', Ibrahim M. (ed.)
- The contemporary Arab reader on political Islam.
Edmonton: University of Alberta Press, 2010.
Divinity School Library BP173.7 .C65 2010 Check availability @ Duke
- Abd-Allah, Umar F.
- A Muslim in Victorian America : the life of Alexander Russell Webb.
Oxford ; New York : Oxford University Press, 2006.
Table of contents
Perkins/Bostock Library BP80.W43 A64 2006 Check availability @ Duke
- Ahmed, Yasmine M.
- The New York Egyptians : voyages and dreams.
Cairo papers in social science ; v. 30, monograph 3.
Cairo ; New York: American University In Cairo Press, 2010.
Perkins/Bostock Library HD8085.N53 A36 2010 Check availability @ Duke
- Ali, Wajahat and Zahra T. Suratwala.
- All-American : 45 American men on being Muslim.
Ashland, Ore.:White Cloud Press, 2012.
Perkins/Bostock Library E184.M88 A46 2012 Check availability @ Duke
- Table of Contents: Foreword / Keith M. Ellison -- Introduction / Wajahat M. Ali -- The faith that faith produced / Haroon Moghul -- Pop culture matters / Svend White -- Disable your cloaking device / Jason Moy -- Lying to myself / Aman Ali -- In this city by the lake / Amer Ahmad -- re: Location - re: Definition / Mark Gonzales -- On baseball and Islam in America / Shahzad Husain Abbas -- The imam: American man, Muslim and gay / Daayiee Abdullah -- If all the trees of the world were pens / Hussein Rashid -- The day I left Islam / Adisa Banjoko -- Oh good, I thought you were Jew / Jason van Boom -- On my knees / Fares Alhassen -- Creating a new normal / Shahed Amanullah -- Memoirs of a mighty mite Muslim / Shakeer Abdullah -- Manhood / Baraka Blue -- Stepping across the gender divide / Tynan Power -- Integration, not assimilation / Aziz H. Poonawalla -- The war of art in the Muslim community / Kamran Pasha -- My political agnosticism / Davi Barker --^ Veering off the roadmap / Humza Ilyas -- From Islam to Islam / Michael Muhammed Knight -- Glossary -- Questions for discussion -- About the editors. Wading through the sea of contention / Dawud Walid -- All eyes on me / Hasan Minhaj -- Faith and politics at Obama for America / Mazen Asbahi -- Undefined / Aziz Hasan -- The exodus of fear: redefining patriotism through legacy / Sami H. Elmansoury -- Finding myself in tears / Justin Mashouf -- Coming home / Mohamed Geraldez -- Muslim after midnight / Obaid H. Siddiqui -- My Detroit surah / Khaled A. Beydoun -- So, how's it going? / Sameer Sarmast -- Touchdowns and taqwa / Ibrahim Abdul-Matin -- For God and country / Suhail A. Khan -- Stranger in a strange land / Aamer H. Jamali -- The good fight / Umair Khan -- The walk / Wahid Momand -- Searching for Ummah / Ehab Zahriyeh -- The trouble maker / Irfan Rydhan -- My moment of clarity / Kofi Rashid -- Yes, you can / Atif Moon -- A call to duty / Basim Elkarra -- Finding my purpose / Abid Husain -- Think greatness / Preacher Moss -- Parrot on my shoulder / Rashid Dar -- Towards a compassionate and accepting orthodoxy / Om! Omar Suleiman
- Barrett, Paul M.
- American Islam : the struggle for the soul of a religion.
New York : Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2007.
Divinity School Library BP67.U6 B37 2007 Check availability @ Duke
Summary: There are as many as six million Muslims in the United States today. Islam (together with Christianity and Judaism) is now an American faith, and the challenges Muslims face as they reconcile their intense and demanding faith with our chaotic and permissive society are recognizable to all of us. This book takes readers into Muslim homes, mosques, and private gatherings to introduce a population of striking variety. An intricate mixture of ideologies and cultures, American Muslims include immigrants and native born, black and white converts, those who are well integrated into the larger society and those who are alienated and extreme in their political views. Even as many American Muslims succeed in material terms and enrich our society, Islam is enmeshed in controversy in the United States, as thousands of American Muslims have been investigated and interrogated in the wake of 9/11.--From publisher description.
Contents: Introduction: Muslims in America -- The publisher -- The scholar -- The imam -- The feminist -- The mystics -- The webmaster -- The activist -- Conclusion: the way ahead.
- Bukhari, Zahid Hussain et al.
- Muslims' place in the American public square : hope, fears, and aspirations.
Walnut Creek, CA : Altamira Press, c2004.
Perkins/Bostock Library E184.M88 M87 2004 Check availability @ Duke
Contents: Foreword-John L. Esposito; Introduction - Section I: Theoretical Perspectives on the Muslim Experience in the US - Taha Jaber Alalwani, School of Islamic and Social Sciences; Towards A Fiqh for Minorities: Some Reflections - Omar Khalidi, Massachusetts Institute of Technology; Living as a Muslim in a Pluralistic Society and State: Theory and Experience - Aminah Beverly McCloud, DePaul University; Conceptual Discourse: Living as a Muslim in a Pluralistic Society- M. A. Muqtedar Khan, Adrian College; Living on the Borderlines: Islam Beyond the Dialogue or Clash of Civilizations ; Section II: The Mainstreaming of American Muslims: Historical and Sociological Understanding - Ali A. Mazrui, State University of New York at Binghamton; Muslims Between The Jewish Example And The Black Experience: American Policy Implications - Mohammed Nimer, Council on American Islamic Relations; Muslims and American Body Politics - Jane Smith, Hartford Seminary; Muslims as Partners in Interfaith Encounter: Section III: Islam and Black Experience in America - Sharman A. Jackson, University of Michigan; Preliminary Reflections on Islam and Black Religion - Zafar Ishaq Ansari, Islamic Research Institute; Islam among African-Americans: An Overview - Sylviane A. Diouf, New York University; The West African Paradox - Section IV: On Locating Muslims in the American Landscape: Demographical and Behavioral Aspects - Ilyas Ba-Yunus and Kassim Kone, State University of New York at Cortland; Muslim Americans: A Demographic Report
- Ewing, Katherine Pratt. (ed.)
- Being and belonging : Muslims in the United States since 9/11.
New York, NY: Russell Sage Foundation, 2008.
Divinity School Library E184.M88 B45 2008 Check availability @ Duke
- Films for the Humanities
- Muslims in America [videorecording] : Islam in exile.
Princeton, NJ : Films for the Humanities & Sciences, c2003.
Lilly Library A-V DVD - DVD 2292 Check availability @ Duke
Notes: "Examines the surprisingly rapid growth of Islam in the heart of America's Bible Belt, a predominantly fundamentalist Christian locale. Yet for Muslims living in Appalachia, the daily challenge lies not so much in acceptance by their neighbors as with practicing their religion in a country whose overall culture is so often at odds with their own beliefs. Interviews with refugees living in the region and with experts in American Islam reveal the resiliency of a faith that can thrive in exile. The history of Islam, Islamic contributions to the arts and sciences, and common ground between Muslims and Christians are also highlighted."
- Gualtieri, Sarah M. A.
- Between Arab and White : race and ethnicity in the early Syrian American diaspora.
Berkeley : University of California Press, c2009.
Perkins/Bostock Library E184.S98 G835 2009
Check availability @ Duke
- Haddad, Yvonne Yazbeck (ed.)
- Muslim communities in North America.
Albany, N.Y. : State University of New York Press, c1994.
Perkins/Bostock BP67.U6 M86 1994 Check availability @ Duke
Contents: A minority within a minority : the case of the Shi’a in North America / Abdulaziz Sachedina -- The sun of Islam will rise in the west : Minister Farrakhan and the nation of Islam in the latter days / Mattias Gardell -- Urban Muslims : the formation of the Dar ul-Islam movement / R. M. Mukhtar Curtis -- Tradition and innovation in contemporary American Islamic spirituality : the Bawa Muhaiyaddeen Fellowship / Gisela Webb -- The five percenters : a teenage nation of gods and earths / Yusuf Nuruddin -- Muslims in Los Angeles / Ron Kelley -- The Muslims of San Diego / M. K. Hermansen -- Muslims of Seattle / Miriam Adeney, Kathryn De Master -- To "achieve the pleasure of Allah" : immigrant Muslim communities in New York City 1893-1991 / Marc Ferris -- Activities of the immigrant Muslim communities in Chicago / Asad Husain, Harold Vogelaar -- The Muslims of Indianapolis / Steve A. Johnson -- Diversity in Rochester’s Islamic community / Tamara Sonn -- The Islamic center of New England / Mary Lahaj -- Muslims of Montreal / Sheila McDonough. The Shi’a Mosques and their congregations in Dearborn / Linda S. Walbridge -- Bektashi Tekke and the Sunni Mosque of Albanian Muslims in America / Frances Trix -- Voluntary associations in the old Turkish community of metropolitan Detroit / Barbara Bilge -- Elderly Muslim immigrants : needs and challenges / Fariyal Ross-Sheriff -- The Yemenis of Delano : a profile of a rural Islamic community / Jonathan Friedlander -- Secular immigrants : religiosity and ethnicity among Iranian Muslims in Los Angeles / George Sabagh, Mehdi Bozorgmehr -- Masjid ul-Mutkabir : the portrait of an African American Orthodox Muslim community / Christine Kolars -- Attitudes of immigrant women and men in the Dearborn area toward women’s employment and welfare / Barbara Aswad.
- Haddad, Yvonne Yazbeck.
- Muslim women in America : the challenge of Islamic identity today.
New York : Oxford University Press, 2006.
Perkins/Bostock Library E184.M88 H34 2006 Check availability @ Duke
Contents: Setting the scene -- Persistent stereotypes -- Embracing Islam -- Practices of the faith -- Gender and the family -- Muslim women in the crucible -- Claiming public space -- Competing discourses -- Glossary.
- Haddad, Yvonne Yazbeck
- Not quite American? : the shaping of Arab and Muslim identity in the United States.
Waco, TX : Baylor University Press, c2004.
Perkins/Bostock E184.A65 H33 2004 Check availability @ Duke
- Howell, Sally.
- Inventing the American mosque: early Muslims and their institutions in Detroit, 1910-1980.
Thesis (Ph. D.)--University of Michigan, 2009.
- Humphrey, Michael.
- Islam, multiculturalism and transnationalism : from the Lebanese diaspora.
London ; New York: The Centre for Lebanese Studies in association with I.B. Tauris Publishers, 1998.
Perkins/Bostock Library DS80.6 .H86 1998 Check availability @ Duke
- Jamal, Amaney and Nadine Naber (eds.).
- Race and Arab Americans before and after 9/11 : from invisible citizens to visible subjects.
Syracuse, N.Y.: Syracuse University Press, 2008.
Perkins/Bostock Library E184.A65 R33 2008 Check availability @ Duke
- Kabir, Nahid Afrose.
- Young American Muslims : dynamics of identity.
Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 2013.
Perkins/Bostock Library E184.M88 K33 2013
Check availability @ Duke
Table of Contents: Introduction: My Journey and the 'Muslim Question' -- Identity Matters -- The Culture Debate -- What Does it Take to be an American? -- Reflections on the American Media -- Barack Hussein Obama and Young Muslims' Political Awareness -- The Palestinian Question -- From Here to Where?.
- Kahera, Akel Ismail.
- Deconstructing the American mosque : space, gender, and aesthetics.
Austin: University of Texas Press, 2002.
Lilly Library NA5212 .K34 2002 Check availability @ Duke
- Khalidi, Omar.
- Indian Muslims in North America.
Watertown, MA : South Asia Press, 1991.
Perkins/Bostock Library E184.M88 I535 1991 Check availability @ Duke
- Kurzman, Charles.
- The missing martyrs : why there are so few Muslim terrorists.
Oxford ; New York, N.Y.: Oxford University Press, 2011.
Divinity School Library Stacks BP190.5.T47 K875 2011
Lilly Library Current Literature BP190.5.T47 K875 2011
Perkins/Bostock New & Noteworthy BP190.5.T47 K875 2011
E-Book (Duke only)
Check availability @ Duke
Table of Contents: Why there are so few Muslim terrorists -- Radical sheik -- Thoroughly modern mujahedin -- Liberal Islam vs. revolutionary Islamism -- Uncle Sam versus Uncle Usama -- Predicting the next attacks.
- Leonard, Karen Isaksen.
- Muslims in the United States : the state of research.
New York : Russell Sage Foundation, c2003.
Perkins/Bostock Library E184.M88 L46 2003 Check availability @ Duke
- Moghissi, Haideh.
- Diaspora by design : Muslims in Canada and beyond.
Toronto : University of Toronto Press, 2009.
Perkins/Bostock Library F1035.M87 M64 2009 Check availability @ Duke
Few groups face as many misconceptions within their new countries as do Muslim immigrants. This book challenges the common misperceptions of Muslim immigrants as a homogeneous, religiously driven group and identifies the tensions they experience within their host countries.A comparative, multi-ethnic study, based on over two thousand interviews, Diaspora by Design examines Muslim populations that have settled in Canada, Britain, Iran, and Palestine. Utilizing hard socio-economic data as well as qualitative analysis, the authors show the remarkable diversity and divisions between Muslim immigrant populations along urban-rural, cultural, class, and gender lines. They argue that integration is a two-way exchange that requires a readiness on the part of the host society to remove barriers that prevent the full social and economic participation of immigrant populations.Extensively researched and thoughtfully provocative, Diaspora by Design is a much-needed work that provides an accurate and dynamic depiction of the lives of Muslim immigrants away from their homelands.
- Naʻīm, ʻAbd Allāh Aḥmad.
- What is an American Muslim? : embracing faith and citizenship.
New York, NY: Oxford University Press, 2014.
BP67.U6 N35 2014 Check availability @ Duke
Table of Contents: Identity and Citizenship: Beyond Minority Politics -- Negotiating Citizenship in the United States -- Religious Self-Determination for American Muslims -- Legal Dimensions of Religions Self-Determination -- Imagined and Re-Imagined Communities: Looking forward.
- Nyang, Sulayman Sheih.
- Islam in the United States of America.
Chicago, Ill. : ABC International Group, c1999.
Divinity School Library Check availability @ Duke
- Orfalea, Gregory.
- Before the flames : a quest for the history of Arab Americans.
Austin, TX: University of Texas Press, 1988.
Perkins/Bostock Library E184.A65 O74 1988 Check availability @ Duke
- Read, Jennan Ghazal.
- Culture, class, and work among Arab-American women.
New York : LFB Scholarly Pub. LLC, 2004.
Perkins/Bostock Library | Duke Authors Display Check availability @ Duke
Contents: Statement of the problem -- Origins of diversity: Arab-American immigration -- Research objectives -- Organization of the study -- Theoretical significance of women's labor force participation -- Structural and cultural explanations of ethnic diversity -- The evolution of ethnic and gender studies: recognizing intraethnic diversity -- Summary -- The case for Arab Americans -- Determinants of Arab-American women's labor force activity -- Hypotheses -- Data and methods -- Arab-American women in comparative perspective -- U.S. census data -- Arab-American survey data -- Immigrant selectivity and Arab-American women's success -- Cultural and class diversity -- The impact of nativity: variations in cultural assimilation -- Challenging myths of U.S. Muslim women -- Portrait of an achieving ethnic population -- Determinants of Arab-American women's economic achievements -- Ties that bind: ethnic homogamy, religiosity, and women's employment -- Cultural influences on labor force commitment -- Gender traditionalism's cultural underpinnings -- Education, occupation, and women's earnings -- Summary -- Conclusion -- Women's achievements and the universal sisterhood -- The gendered consequences of culture -- Summary and future research.
- Turner, Richard Brent.
- Islam in the African-American experience.
Bloomington : Indiana University Press, c1997.
Divinity School Library BP67.U6 T87 1997 Check availability @ Duke
- Webb, Alexander Russell, 1846-1916.
- Yankee Muslim : the Asian travels of Mohammed Alexander Russell Webb.
Maryland: Borgo Press/Wildside Press, 2007.
Perkins/Bostock Library DS413 .W43 2007 Check availability @ Duke
Contents: Manila -- Singapore -- Rangoon -- Calcutta -- Bombay -- Hyderabad -- Madras -- Agra -- Bombay lecture: Islam -- Hyderabad lecture: Philosophic Islam -- Madras lecture: The better way -- Appendix A. Webb interview in the Mohammadan observer -- Appendix B. Alex R. Webb statement of age, education, employment, etc. -- Appendix C. Letters between Webb and Mirza Ghulam Ahmad -- Appendix D. Fundraising letter from Web -- Appendix E. Letter from Web to Budruddin Abdulla Kur -- Appendix F. Welcome address from the Anuman-Taide-Musulmanan-e-Jadid -- Appendix G. Letters to the editor of The times India.