Welcome! This guide is designed to help you find art and images related to biblical texts.
William Blake, The Ancient of Days, 1794 [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons
Oxford Art Online
Find out more about an artist or artistic movement, in this reference database
Search the library catalog for books on art and artists
Image Databases & Websites
Tips for finding biblical images in ARTstor:
- Creating a FREE account will give you advanced options for saving & organizing images (see Tips for saving, etc. below).
- Enter the ARTstor Digital Library page and go to the Advanced Search page
- If you have a unique keyword associated with your search (e.g. Nebuchadnezzar), you can enter it into the search box; then hit search
- Use “ ” to search for a phrase (e.g. "Garden of Eden")
- If you have a really general name/term (e.g. David), try combining the search phrase "Old Testament" with the name/term you would like to search (e.g. "Old Testament" and David)
- Select "Title" or "Creator" from the search box dropdown, if you want to search for a specific artist or work
Tips for saving, downloading, & presenting images using ARTstor
- Creating a FREE account in ARTstor will allow you to organize, save, and use images offline; Click on the 'Register' link in the upper right side of the screen to create an account (use your .edu email address to register)
- Having trouble? Check out ARTstor's Troubleshooting Tips
- ARTstor guide to Organizing Images & Presenting Images on and offfline
- Add Personal Notes by clicking on the caption underneath the thumbnail view of an image, then select the 'Personal Notes' tab
- Still have questions? Contact the Divinity School library for help!