Numismatic, Coins, Money, Trade, Economics
Scholarly (signed) biography articles can be a great start to understanding complex historical figures or writers:
- Biography in Context (Gale) contains more than one million thumbnail biographies from international sources.
- Biography and Genealogy Indexes current, readily-available biographical reference sources, as well as the most important retrospective works that cover individuals, both living and deceased, from every field of activity and from all areas of the world. Provides over 12.7 million citations.
- Literature Resource Center* designed for the research needs of undergraduates, the LRC provides the full text of biographies, bibliographies, and critical analyses for authors of every age, nation, and literary discipline.
- World biographical information system (International)Biographical information on over 6 million people worldwide, from the 8th century BC to present. All areas of society and professions are covered. This database serves as an index to several microfiche sets including the British Biographical Archive, Archives Biographiques Françaises, Archivio Biographico Italiano, Archivo Biográfico de España, Portugal e Iberoamérica, Biografisch Archief van de Benelux, and Scandinavian Biographical Archive all of which can be found in the online catalog.
- Dictionary of National Biography (British) Biographies of noteworthy people, no longer living, who inhabited or were connected with the British Isles. Portraits included for more than 10,000 entries. Also known as the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography.
- Dictionary of Irish biography [electronic resource] (Irish)
You will find more on Biography by searching for individual names in the Duke Catalog (Advanced Search = Subject)
You will also find biography under a catalog search subjects like:
- "Great Britain -- History -- Medieval period, 1066-1485 -- Biography"
- "France -- Biography"
- "Germany -- Biography"
Hagiography Books at Duke