Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
- 19th Century British Library Newspapers
Includes local and regional newspapers.
- 19th Century UK Periodicals
Duke subscribes to:
Series One: New Readerships: Women’s, Children’s, Humour and Leisure/Sport
Series Two: Empire: Travel and Anthropology, Economics, Missionary and Colonial. periodicals from Australia, Canada, Ceylon, India, New Zealand and South Africa.
- Annual Register
a year-by-year record of British and world events, published annually since 1758
- Eighteenth Century Collections Online (ECCO)
- Nearly 150,000 English-language titles and editions published between 1701 and 1800 are included.
- Empire Online
Full-text database containing primary source documents about the British Empire.
- Guardian and The Observer
The Guardian (1821-2003) and its sister paper, The Observer (1791-2003) provide online access to facts, firsthand accounts, and opinions of the day about the most significant events of the day. An alternative point of view to The Times
- House of Commons Parliamentary Papers
Full text of the Sessional Papers from 1700 to the present.
- India, Raj and Empire
provides documents from the manuscript collections of the National Library of Scotland pertaining to the History of South Asia between the foundation of the East India Company in 1615 and the granting of independence to India.
- Making of the Modern World: The Goldsmiths'-Kress Library of Economic Literature 1450-1850
provides full-text and full-page-image access to the theories, practices, and consequences of economic and business activity in the West, from the last half of the 15th century to the mid-19th century
- Periodicals Index Online
- Indexes periodicals from their first issues to 1995. Now contains hundreds of full-text periodicals.
- Slavery, Abolition and Social Justice 1490-2007
This digital collection documents key aspects of the history of slavery worldwide over six centuries.
- The Times Digital Archive
Search The Times (London) from 1785-1985 in full-text; provides facsimile reproductions of full pages or specific articles. HINT: search in full-text rather than keyword to get the best retrieval. Search separately in the list of databases for the Sunday Times.
- Times of India
The Times of India (1838-2001) offers full page and article images with searchable full text back to the first issue.
- Virginia Company Archives a collection of sources, including primary sources, on the Virginia Company