Selecting the file
- Open Tableau
- Click the “Open Data” button
- Select “Microsoft Excel”
- Select the “hurricane_tracts.xlsx” file
- Drag “hurricane_tracts” over Drag sheets here
Fix variable type errors
- For “Season”, change variable type to String*
- For “ISO time”, change variable type to Date & time
*In Tableau, dates need a month and day, so a year is not a date.
If your data are annual, you can add a fake month and day that you later ignore.
- Click “Go to Worksheet”
- Move “Season (Count)” from Measures to Dimensions
Previous (Preparing data) | Next (Sample charts - line chart)