Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Industry Standards Databases / Resources:
ASTM Compass (full-text access to ASTM’s 12,000+ standards, as well as AASHTO, AATCC, API, and UOP standards)
- IEEE Xplore (full-text access to all IEEE standards)
- Techstreet Enterprise (we have standards in the following areas)
ASTM (moved to ASTM Compass)
- BSI (ISO)
- Standards related library resources (The library has many items related to standards and codes in the Duke catalog, some of the main ones are listed below)
- ANSI standards (mostly older, a few recent)
- American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers (ASABE) Standards
- ASTM standards (older - 80's, 90's some 2000 & 2001)
- ISO 9000 series
- ISO 14000 series
- LEED guides, standards & certification
- NC Building Codes (includes 2015 NC Existing Building Code, 2014 NC Electrical Code Amendments, 2012 NC Mechanical Code, 2012 NC Plumbing Code, 2012 NC Residential Code, 2012 NC Fire Code, 2012 NC Fuel Gas Code, 2012 NC Energy Code, 2012 NC Building Code, 2012 NC Administrative Code)
- FDA Recognized Consensus Standards
- A list of consensus standards that evaluated and recognized by U.S. Food and Drug Administration
The library uses Techstreet Enterprise to process requests for standards. Please follow the steps below to place a request.
- Browse the Duke Techstreet Enterprise Subscription to see what standards have already been purchased within our blocks (BSI/ISO & IEC) already this year. These standards are available digitally for one calendar year for all Duke users.
- If your standard has not already been purchased, and IS part of BSI (ISO) or IEC, then create an account with the form below. After logging in you may select the standard you want and click "Add Building Block". This will send an email to the library to approve the standard purchase.
- Once approved, the standard will then show up in Duke's subscription. You may view digitally* (for one calendar year) and/or you are allowed to print (1) copy. All other Duke users may also view this standard online for one year.
- If the standard you want is NOT part of BSI (ISO), IEC or IEEE, then you may submit an email to email@example.com with a link to the standard in Techstreet that you need along with your Duke information.
Create a Techstreet Account
Using your @duke.edu email, please fill out the form below to create a Techstreet account.
Please note this is a different sign-in and password than your normal netid & pswd.
Standards are detailed documents that may be rules, testing methods, definitions, recommended practices, and specifications that promote uniformity for engineering design, industrial practices, and terminology, etc.
Please see the helpful links below for more information.
FAQ on Standards
Helpful FAQ about standards from the Society for Standards Professional. Covers basic "what is a std" question through more complicated and specific standard questions.
Standards - IEEE
Gives definition of standards, explains the creation and approval process as well as governance, guidelines, etc.
Website for global trade. Has links to information for standards for different countries, explains how they're used (government vs. private) etc.