Getting Started -- This guide is intended to be a springboard to begin your genealogical adventure. Included are resources introducing researchers to materials available in the Duke University Libraries, regional organizations, and beyond. Please see the other tabs on this research guide for more in-depth information on specific genealogy topics and help in continuing your journey.
We invite Duke community members to join our informal Genealogy@Duke group on Microsoft Teams.
First steps in researching your ancestors:
1. Identify what you know about your family.
2. Choose an ancestor you want to research, and identify what you need to learn, documenting pertinent information as you find it. Do you know when and where your person was --
3. Select types of records to search.
4. Search for needed information.
5. Evaluate and document your research.