Skip to Main Content
The Glory of Woman: Prescriptive Literature, 2000 to present
- Borgman, Peggy. Four Seasons of Inner and Outer Beauty: rituals and recipes for well-being throughout the year. New York: Broadway Books, 2000.
"Ultimately, self-care is about love. By nourishing yourself with this vital energy, you'll regain your natural ability to offer it generously to others. In fact, it is impossible to keep the benefits of these rituals to yourself." Written by the founder of the Preston Wynne Spa in California.
- Doyle, Laura. The Surrendered Wife: a practical guide for finding intimacy, passion, and peace with a man. New York: Simon & Schuster, 2001.
"Surrendering to your husband is not about returning to the fifties or rebelling against feminism... It's about following some basic principles that will help you change your habits and attitudes to restore intimacy to your marriage."
- Dromar, Alice D. and Henry Dreher. Self-Nurture: learning to care for yourself as effectively as you care for everyone else. New York: Viking, 2000.
"Most women have to juggle the roles of caregiver, breadwinner, and nurturer - and have been taught to put everyone else's needs ahead of their own." This book teaches women how to "shift [their] focus from self-sacrifice to self-care."
- Fine, Carla. Strong, Smart & Bold: empowering girls for life. New York: Cliff Street Books, 2001.
Fine’s book explains “how to raise a confident, courageous, and self-sufficient girl,” and suggests a variety of techniques and activities to help girls resist sexist stereotypes and know their rights.
- Gilman, Susan Jane. Kiss My Tiara: how to rule the world as a smartmouth goddess. New York: Warner Books, 2001.
“We’re in the best position ever to conquer the world, to flourish and prevail. We have the guts, the tools, the vision. We have the brains and the attitude. Some of us even have the clothes. So why look backward or give in to our fears?”
- Strasser, Susan. Never Done: a history of American housework. New York: Henry Holt, 2000.
This meticulously researched book explores advertising, women's entry into the workforce, material advances, and the history of domestic service.
Four Seasons of Inner and Outer Beauty
Strong, Smart & Bold: empowering girls for life
Kiss My Tiara: how to rule the world as a smartmouth goddess