Standards are detailed documents that may be rules, testing methods, definitions, recommended practices, and specifications that promote uniformity for engineering design, industrial practices, and terminology, etc.
Finding & Requesting Standards
Please Note: Duke University Libraries collect very few standards. We order standards on demand, free of charge for the Duke community. If you are affiliated with Duke University, you can request a standard(s) using Document Delivery (see instructions below). If you are affiliated with Duke Medical Center, please contact Melanie Sturgeon (firstname.lastname@example.org) or for assistance.
Industry Standards Databases / Resources:
- IEEE xplore (full text access to all IEEE standards)
- Techstreet (use this site to identify standard(s) needed)
- Standards related library resources (The library has many items related to standards and codes in Duke catalog including NC building codes, varoius ISO, green building & LEED info, etc)
How to request a Standard:
For standards other than IEEE (or for BME 262) - Please search the Techstreet.com link to identify the standard needed; copy and paste the link to standard to the Document Delivery form (request as a book) Detailed instructions below.
- Locate the standard needed at Techstreet.com, copy the link (url) to that standard for use in the request form
- Use Document Delivery to place a 'Book' request.
- Please type "Industry Standard" in the 'Author/Editor' field
- Enter the title of your standard in the 'Title' filed (ie "ASTM E2611-09")
- Paste the link (url) from Techstreet.com for the standard you need in the 'Notes' field (ie "http://www.techstreet.com/products/1617165")
- Please enter the class / lab you are using this standard for in the 'Where did you find this item cited?' field (ie ME 492)
- Submit the request
Document Delivery staff will contact you when standard is ready for pickup at the Perkins Library Circulation Desk. Please note - we can not provide PDFs of standards, standards are only available in print.
BME 262 students:
2007 IEC standards 60601-1 for Medical Electrical Equipment are on a CD-ROM that is located in Perkins Reserves. Please ask for the CD-ROM by the author: International Electrotechanical Commission (IEC) at the Perkins Circulation Desk.
If you need addtional standards for this class, please contact Melanie Sturgeon (email@example.com)
If you a Duke student, faculty, staff or affiliate:
Please DO NOT order standards using your own credit card.