Julian Shakespeare Carr Papers, 1880-1982
Julian Carr was a tobacco and textile manufacturer and civic leader of Durham (Durham Co.), N.C. He also served on the Board of Trustees of Trinity College (Randolph County, N.C.). The collection includes material related to Carr's service on the Board of Trustees as well as personal family papers. Although a partner in competitor W. T. Blackwell and Company, Carr was a member of Trinity College's Board of Trustees and collaborated with Washington Duke to encourage Trinity College to move to Durham.
Edward James Parrish Papers, 1888-1926
Edward J. Parrish (1846-1920) and Rosa Bryan Parrish (1852-1927) were residents of Durham, North Carolina, and traveled to Japan and China in connection with Parrish's work as a representative for American Tobacco and the British-American Tobacco Company. Edward Parrish also served as chair of Trinity College's Board of Trustees and headed the Building Committee responsible for planning the college's first Durham buildings.
Richard Harvey Wright papers, 1835-1980 and undated
Richard Harvey Wright (1894-1980) was a businessman of Durham, N.C., and founder of Wright Machinery Company. Wright Machinery merged with Sperry Rand Corporation on 29 March 1957. Collection dates from 1870-1980 and comprises correspondence, 1870-1941; legal papers; printed matter; business papers; financial papers; and clippings relating to Wright's business interests, particularly the Wright Machinery Company of Durham, N.C., manufacturer of packaging for tobacco products and various other kinds of commodities. There is much information on the economic history of Durham and the development of the tobacco industry.
Founded in 1893 by Benjamin Duke, who selected William H. Erwin to manage the business. Their first factory opened in West Durham, with others in Erwin, NC and Cooleemee, NC opening later. Collection includes account books, alphabetical subject files, and documentation of the company's relations with its workers, the Textile Workers Union of America, and the federal government, mostly in the late 1930s and early 1940s.
De Vyver was an economist, professor of economics, and university administrator at Duke University from 1936-1980, and Vice-President of Personnel and Labor Relations at Erwin Cotton Mills from 1945-1955. His papers include a variety of materials about Erwin Cotton Mills Company including collective bargaining agreements, analyses of jobs and personnel, and extensive clippings about strikes, especially the strike of 1945-1946.
Incorporated in 1898 after the merger of the Durham Hosiery Co., founded 1895, and the Golden Belt Hosiery Co.. The firm operated at least seven mills, including facilities at High Point and Carrboro. Correspondence, bills, time books, ledgers, check stubs, inventories, broadsides, stock certificates, dye house records, and other materials. The bulk of the correspondence, 1895-1897, dates to George M. Graham's service as secretary and treasurer of the Durham Hosiery Company. Letters discuss machinery purchased from firms in the North, newly organized textile mills in the South, the installation and repair of machinery, and the sale of hosiery.
Newsletter published by employees of the Durham Hosiery Mills. Includes updates from mills across North Carolina, including Durham, sometimes naming individual employees. Much of the content focuses on boosting the image of Durham Hosiery Mills by emphasizing what a good place it is to work and extolling the virtues of its "Industrial Democracy" management system.
Durham Cotton Manufacturing Company founded, 1884 by J. A., J. M., and W. R. Odell, W. H. Branson, and Julian S. Carr. Headquartered in Durham, N.C. Most of the material represents the years 1915-1934. Includes information on fluctuations in cotton prices, export trade in cotton cloth, types of cloth and machinery, freight rates, salaries, workers' medical care, tenement rents, stockholders, dividends, and distribution of excess profits.
Durham, NC company founded in 1893 by Richard Wright. It was first concerned with packaging tobacco, and later diversified by packaging other products.Collection chiefly contains publications, publicity, and company history files. Included are photographs of company picnics, clippings, and runs of the company newsletter (1957-1963 and 1981-1983). Printed materials also include a 1943 publication celebrating the company's anniversary, and a series of Rexham Employees newsletters (1978-1982)