Materials on African Americans at Duke University Archives
This guide is designed to help researchers locate materials on the history of African Americans at Duke University, but is not intended to be a comprehensive bibliography.
The information in this guide is separated into five sections. Please use the tabs above to navigate to each section.
- Reference Collections: These collections are prepared by Duke University Archives staff to provide brief overviews of popular topics in Duke University's history.
- Archival Collections: These collections were received from University departments, faculty, alumni, and organizations. They contain primary documents, including correspondence, news clippings, photographs, sound and video recordings.
- Duke University Publications: These titles include publications produced by African American students at Duke, as well as Duke publications of a more general nature.
- Reports and Studies: These titles include reports on race-related campus issues. They may be found in archival collections, or may exist as stand-alone items, available through a catalog search.
- Secondary Sources: These items include research papers, theses and books by Duke students as well as outside researchers on African American history at Duke and related issues.
After reviewing this guide, please contact a University Archives staff member if you need further assistance in locating additional resources.
Accessing Duke University Archives Materials
The Duke University Archives, part of the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, is the official repository for the historical records of Duke University. Visit our website to learn more about us!
The materials described in this guide may be used in the Rubenstein Library's reading room on the 3rd floor of Perkins Library.
Duke University Archives
Duke University Archives
David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library
Durham, NC 27708
Helpful Subject Headings
Clicking on these subject headings will search the entire Duke Libraries catalog.
To narrow the list of results down to materials located in the Duke University Archives, select "University Archives" under the Location menu on the lefthand side of the page.
- Duke University--Administration.
- Duke University. History--20th century.
- Duke University--Students--Political activity.
- African American students--North Carolina--Durham.
- Student participation in administration.