Key Reference Works
- International Encyclopedia of Linguistics
Encompasses the full range of topics in linguistics, including such areas as historical, comparative, formal, mathematical, functional, philosophical, and sociolinguistics.
- Encyclopedia of Language & Linguistics
An authoritative, and up-to-date international reference source.
- Cambridge Encyclopedia of Language
A collection of concise and readable essays on the many subfields of linguistics, and covers both theoretical and applied approaches to the subject.
- Encyclopedic Dictionary of Language and Languages
Defines hundreds of terms connected with language. Includes the names of languages, language groups, or countries; topics such as writing systems, punctuation, and poetics; and terms from phonetics, language typology, transformational grammar, and neurolinguistics.
- Compendium of the World's Languages
A general survey covering a wide spectrum of the world's languages and shows how each language has its own characteristic profile, and illustraties how it works.
- The World Atlas of Language Structures
Contains full-color maps and in-depth discussions of each map's content by a specialist in the field. The maps present more than 58,000 data points and more than 200 languages.
- Concise Languages of the World
Comprehensive electronic resource for 370 of the world's major languages, language families and classification systems and disputes.
- Dictionary of Linguistics and Phonetics
Defines words and senses about newer models of linguistic theory.
- Handbook of English Linguistics
Covers all methodological issues, syntax, phonetics and phonology, lexis and morphology, and variation, discourse, stylistics, and usage.
- Companion to Linguistic Anthropology
Summarizes past and contemporary research and includes bibliography of over 2000 entries designed as a guide to the literature of linguistic anthropology.
- Handbook of Applied Linguistics
Seeks to unify practical experience and theoretical understanding of language development and language in use.
- Handbook of Language Variation and Change
Presents views of linguistic variation in the diverse contexts that give it meaning and significance.
Your class librarian!
Lilly Library 108