Of Special Interest
A few of the many Census Bureau Publications that have data broken down by city:
- Report on the Social Statistics of Cities in the United States at the Eleventh Census: 1890.
Located in Docs Census Reference at Dubester 230
- Census of Manufacturers, 1914: Volume I: Reports by States with Statistics for Principal Cities and Metropolitan Districts
Located in Docs Census Reference at Dubester 2190
- Some issues of the Current Population Reports
Located in Census Reference area at C 3.186
Index in Census Reference area at C 3.186:P-23/192
Data is collected through the Current Population Survey, a joint program of Census and the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
A nice online annotated listing of the Current Population Reports series is at Ohio State.
United States Census
Discussed here are paper census reports. See the main course guide for links to what census materials are available online.
Location: Public Documents Collection on Perkins 2nd floor
The Census Reference Collection is divided into two major portions:
- "Dubester" section
- covers through 1945
- organized by entry numbers in Dubester bibliography, noted below
- we don't have everything listed in the bibliography
- Dubester #1 - 1301 derive from the decennial censuses
- Dubester #1310-3664 are non-decennial publications
- "SuDoc" section
- covers 1946-present
- organized by Superintendent of Documents (SuDoc) call numbers
- some recent reports are in the library catalog, but very hard to find
- There are also Census Bureau publications in the regular US Docs collection, mostly at call numbers beginning C3 (or C56, for material published 1972-1975).
- Catalog of United States Census Publications: 1790-1945 (a.k.a., "Dubester") by Henry F. Dubester
located at beginning of the Docs Census Reference area
- Dubester's U.S. Census Bibliography with DuDocs Class Numbers and Indexes, by Kevin L. Cook
located at the Perkins Reference Desk (1st floor) at HA 181 .C665 1996
adds some extra indexing to the above work
- CIS index to US. executive branch documents, 1789-1909. Part 1: Commerce and Labor Department ...
located in Perkins Reference at Z 1223 .Z7 C64 1990 pt.1
- CIS index to US. executive branch documents, 1910-1932. Part 2: Commerce Department.
located in Perkins Reference at Z1223.Z7 C646 1996 pt.2
- Library Catalog (most older volumes not cataloged, and all are difficult to find in catalog)
- WorldCat database