21st Century Sociology
Addresses traditional subfields of sociology, as well as important evolving subfields, such as environmental sociology, sociology of sports and leisure, military sociology, medical sociology, and the sociology of food and eating.
- Encyclopedia of Social Problems
Cover major theories, approaches, and contemporary issues in social problems.
- Encyclopedia of Social Theory
Covers developments, achievements, and prospects of social theory from 18th century to the present.
Adding your Thesis to DukeSpace
Recent Duke dissertations, theses, master’s projects, undergraduate honors theses as well as open access copies of Duke faculty articles are part of the repository. You can add your finished thesis to make it more accessible.
Special Privileges for Honors Students
Check out what the library offers students writing honors theses...
- The same check-out privileges provided to grad students
- Study carrels that may be used for four-hour blocks -- stop by the Perkins circulation desk to check out a key
- A group study room -- Bostock 112 -- designated specifically for honors researchers (ask at the Circulation desk for the access code)
- Book and article delivery to the library of your choice
- Lockers for storing your materials (just ask at the Perkins check-out desk)
- $1000 for your honors thesis! Enter your thesis into competition for the Aptman Prize or Middlesworth Award
Introductions to Sociology
- Blackwell Encyclopedia of Sociology
The Blackwell Encyclopedia of Sociology provides expert definitions and explanatory overviews of the key theories, concepts and research fronts in sociology. Each entry is written by a recognized scholar in the field and is supported by a bibliography.
- International Encyclopedia of the Social Sciences
This encyclopedia gives strong emphasis to the impact of critical theory, cultural studies, and the mathematicization of empirical research on the social sciences. Entries are signed, cross-referenced, and include bibliographies. An extensive general index is included.
This text by Anthony Giddens provides an introduction to the theories and debates within sociology. It combines the history of sociology and its classical theories with the impact of globalization upon social life.
Not finding what you're looking for? Ask a Librarian!